Power continuity test

Today started the morning by putting the final coat of polyurethane on the remaining sections that I coated when I got home from DC last night.  I turned the pieces upside down in their final locations and then started tearing down my work area.  Now that I have completed all of the physical construction, I have no risk that I will need the router or any of my power tools.  So, I dismounted my router from the routing table, took all of the screws out of my workbench and broke the steadying board from the back of the workbench.  All of the tools went into one of the rooms in the basement and the board for the workbench was slid behind the dumbell rack in the server/weight room.  The board will be beneficial if we foster a dog that needs to be caged during the day because the previous dogs have torn up the insulation on the wall.  In the event that I decide to build another track in the middle area of the basement, I will have my jig for the curves ready.  And, should they ever lift the burn ban, this board will be very interesting to burn. After cleaning up the work area, I vacuumed and put the original furniture back in place.  It looks as if nothing ever happened there.

The next thing I did was to try to find some alligator clips to connect the power supply to the track so that I could test whether I had any issues with continuity.  I couldn’t find any clips, but I did find that if I simply leveraged the end of the wire between the track and a tie and could then test that I had power to every section.  Although I do not have an engine to test with, I do have the performer car which has lights so I can push the car around and make sure that the lights never go out.  This also lets me test to make sure that the joints between the sections are smooth and make little noise.  So, once I got everything connected, I was happy to find that I have good connectivity to every section that is currently up.

After testing for power, I hunkered down in the weight room and knelt on the rubber pads while I worked on the track that was on the concrete.  I started with what I consider to be the most difficult which is the curved section nearest the weight room door.  I got it done, and then rolled the performer car onto the section and validated that I still had continuity.  A picture is below showing the car with the lights with the camera in the corner under curve number 7.

After finishing curve number 6, I started working on the opposite side of the track near the fireplace.  The little 3 foot section after the S-Curve was the first section to be completed and then I built the 7th curve.  Below is a picture of the 7th curve with the animal cars rolled into place.

I felt like I was done for the day at about 6pm after the dogs reminded me that I needed to feed them.  After an hour of sitting around, I decided that I should work on another section.  So, I started on the long 8 foot section at about 7pm and by 8:30 I had it completed and in place.  Once again, I powered up the track and rolled the performer car onto the new section and then took a picture.

So, I am calling it quits for the day.  Sure, I could do the 5 foot section, but I don’t have an engine and I won’t have one for quite some time, so why rush.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s