Well, I did nothing Wednesday night because the therapy on my back is killing me and I can’t feel my feet. I just went to sleep at 8pm and felt guilty for not working on the train. So, tonight, I took some pain killers and made myself do something useful.
First, I cleaned the prototypes off the bar and put the USA track that I bought for reference material onto the top of the bar so that the curve simply follows the shape of the L on the bar. It looks very nice. I then put the power supply for the train under the lip of the bar and connected the wires so that the track is powered up and I can test the power supply. Finally, I put the Performer car for the train on the track and fired it up. The lights in the car come on and the little back light on the car comes on. It is pretty. The bar looks much cleaner.
It was raining outside so I put the table sander under the porch and sanded the ends of the new ceiling mounts that I had built. After sanding them down nice and smooth, I got out the Polyurethane and brushed on the first coat of finish to the bottom part. As I brushed it on the little bubbles started appearing and then I realized my the stupidity of my stupidity. Remember in a previous post I said that I had bubbles from brushing on the polyurethane and so I started using an old T-shirt to put the stuff on the track? But, using the T-shirt method is very slow and you don’t get a lot of polyurethane on the wood in the first pass. The wood soaks up just about everything you can get on it. So, for these new ceiling mounts, I decided that I would brush on the polyurethane so that I got a lot on the wood, and then would use the T-shirt to wipe off the excess after it had bubbled. The idea hit me because the little bubbles weren’t coming from the brush. They were coming from the wood dowels. Whenever I brushed across the dowels, they would bubble like crazy and then slowly stop. So, by brushing it on to get a good thick coat, and then wiping the excess after the bubbling had stopped, I got a really smooth and clean finish. They look a lot better than the first set.