More ties, more mounts, and an 8 footer

Now we are into the monotonous part of the project. I have now finished the proof of the design of the ceiling mounts, the ties, and the track. So, now it is time to just repeat the process over and over till I have converted my raw stock into production pieces.

Today was a beautiful day at about 85 degrees and so I started out with the ties. I peeled off the stupid little Lowes SKU stickers on the 3/8 inch square dowels, sanded the glue off, and then stained all of them. So, now I have stained roughly 1000 ties and they are all sitting on my workbench separated to let them continue to cure and dry.

After finishing the ties, I laid out another six foot section of rail and glued the ties to it. This time I did something a little different. It seems that the cross members and ties are of sufficient strength that I don’t need to put screws in the rails to hold everything together. So, I tried this out and built one six foot section without any screws. I sanded it, bounced it around, and it seems to be just as strong as the others that have screws.

Next, I took the second piece of the curve out of the press and lined it up on the ceiling. I then put two more ceiling mounts in place on the curves and screwed them to the ceiling. Only one screw hit a joist as would be expected since the curve forces the mount to be at a 45 degree angle. It doesn’t matter because even one screw is sufficient for the weight of the train. Here is a picture of the entire curve in place with the new mounts. The curve is ready to have a coat of polyurethane put on it and then the rails once they arrive. Here is the required picture of the work.

TheFullBathroomDoorCurveBeforeFinishing_full

After finishing up the curve, I built the remaining ceiling mounts. All of the pieces were already cut so all I had to do was apply the glue, set them, and make sure that they were square. So, here is a picture of the second half of the mounts just after glueing.

SecondHalfOfCeilingMountsAssembled_full

When I was originally buying the stock for the project, I did not know what length of rail I was going to use and I did not know that I was going to use Llagas rails. So, I bought all manner of lengths in order to be as efficient as I could on the supporting rail system. Well, one of the lengths that I bought was an eight foot piece of stock and I split it to make the rails. So, today I decided that it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and be efficient in the stock for the long run on the opposite side of the room from the pool table. The immediate problem is that all of the Llagas rail will be in six foot sections and I will have this strange eight foot section. But, that isn’t an issue because I have already cut two six foot sections of rail into two foot lengths for the prototypes. I will just pull that rail off the prototypes and deploy it in production. Here is a pic of the eight foot section under clamp.

8FootStraightSectionStarting_full

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s