I got home at about 6:30pm, took care of the dogs, and then started on the second coat of Polyurethane on the ceiling mounts. I would consider myself an idiot for not thinking of this before, but when I put on the first coat of Polyurethane, I used a brush. I should have used a cloth. When it hit me that I should have used a cloth, I couldn’t help but remember that we always used a old T-shirt or something soft to apply finishes.
So, I thought for a moment and decided that an old white T-shirt would work so I dug in the bottom of my closet and found one. Cotton…nice! I then put all of the ceiling mounts outside on the stack of old bricks from when we pulled up part of the patio to put in a rock walkway, and put out my can of Polyurethane. I put on a pair of latex gloves and started wiping on the Polyurethane only to discover that the gloves were disintegrating as I worked on the wood. Was it snagging and ripping the gloves? OK, so I put on a second glove and was very careful to only tough the T-Shirt material with the glove. But the fingers that were touching the Polyurethane dissolved once again.
So, now I know…Polyurethane and latex do not mix.
I finished up the job without gloves and my hands were quite sticky. I washed with soap and most everything came off. I let the mounts dry outside for a bit, and then took them inside to finish.
I also got out the sanding cloth and cleaned up the ties wherever there were irregularities in the Polyurethane. Everything is done and ready to start putting some track on the ceiling. The only problem that I have not figured out is how I am going to connect the pieces when they are in the air. I have an idea that I am going to test out on a prototype. Basically, I will take a small piece of wood and drill through it, then drill similar holes in the end of the mounting rails and use a smaller dowel to loosely hold the block to the wood rails. The goal is a loose fit that will allow the wood to expand and contract with temperature changes in the room.